Sunday, January 11, 2015

"...there's not a way to cheat this system..sorry."

This week flew by! I can hardly believe it's P-Day again. This week was absolutely incredible though. I am honestly just so happy! I could probably just say that and end this letter because that is the underlying message of this week. 

I AM HAPPY! 

Mission's are still hard. The circumstances really haven't changed that much, but I am just SO happy regardless. There are just so many reasons to be! 

1. I get to eat Thai food EVERYDAY! 
2. We had 13 lessons with a member this week which is up from only 2 last week! 
             --Side note: Prayer WORKS! 
3. We got balanced! (Which means we had: 2 investigators on date to be baptized, 2 investigators at church, 2 new investigators as of this week, and 10+ lessons! I know the numbers aren't what really matter but it's exciting when you make a goal and reach it! That's how we improve!) 
4. About 12 white people showed up to church from America and one could play the piano for sacrament!!! (Seriously made my whole week. 555)
5. Made Thai food for Dinner last night with a bunch of members. SO GOOD.
6. Personal Study has been SO GOOD lately. Who knew you could learn so much on a mission ;)
7. The Zone Leaders and STL's came this last week for training and they are just awesome.
8. Ran into an old investigator we dropped at Big C and he said he wanted to try coming to church again! 
9. Read an AWESOME talk by President Holland called "Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence."
10. The cute little Ice Cream carts everywhere in Thailand. I don't like Ice Cream, but I do here because they put Sticky Rice and Condensed Milk in it!!! SO GOOD FOR REAL.

I honestly could go on forever, but I don't have a lot of time so I will stop at 10. But honestly those aren't even the biggest reason I am so happy. The reason I am so happy is because I am living the Gospel of Christ more exactly than I ever have in my entire life. I feel like the people did in 4 Nephi 1:16 - "And there were no envyings, nor strifes, nor tumults, nor whoredoms, nor lyings, nor murders, nor any manner of lasciviousness; and surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God." 
That's the secret! Live the Gospel! That is what those people were doing. There's no quick fix, no instant happiness pill. There is just the back breaking, pain staking labor of living the Gospel of Jesus Christ and specifically enduring to the end. In verse 15 of that same chapter it says, "And it came to pass that there was no contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people." The question should always be: "How can I greater feel the love of God in my life [if that truly does bring the most peace and happiness--see 1 Nephi 11:22-23 --] And the answer is: "Do what God says will make you feel His love more in your life. Aka. The commandments." Common sense, right? They aren't a restriction. They are a recipe for happiness. I am proof, if you don't just want to take the scriptures word for it, that as you strive to live the commandments more exactly in your life you will experience the most happiness. Yes, it seems too good to be true, but you will never know for yourself unless you try and see. That is my invitation. Just try and see! Try doing EVERYTHING, (literally everything, there's not a way to cheat this system..sorry.), God says it will make you happy....see if it works. I testify that it will, and that you will begin to experience the kind of happiness I am right now in my very busy, very labor intensive life.
I love my Savior, I love my Father in Heaven. 
And I love YOU! I hope everyone's doing awesome! :) 

~Sister Burbank

Big Budda Wat (temple)

 Budda Temple

 More temples




Ancient Temple



 Old part of Temple


Eating Lizard, Elder Gettawong

 Visiting Leader - Wisan - in Chapel




Sis Hippo and Guitar


 Cooking Thai Food



No comments:

Post a Comment